The recipes I’ve chosen to create and share for the month of September. The ingredients of Apple, Mushrooms, Peaches and Cauliflower match the month perfectly and these dishes will help your palette get ready for Pumpkin Spice Lattes 😉
- 4 large baking apples, such as Honeycrisp
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use a paring knife or apple corer to remove the stem and seeds from the apples, making a deep hole where the filling will go.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon, mix well. Add the nuts. Spoon mixture evenly into each of the apples.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to a baking dish and place apples on top.
- Bake until the apples are soft and the filling is browned, 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Spoon the sauce drippings from the pan over the apples. Serve with ice cream, if desired.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 medium onion sliced or chopped
- 6 cloves garlic smashed with the back of a knife (or minced)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese,
- 2 teaspoons salt to taste
- 1/4 crushed red pepper flakes
- Black cracked black pepper, to season
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine cauliflower, onion, and garlic on the baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper(s), distributing evenly.
- Arrange in a single layer and bake for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and toss through cauliflower. Return to the oven to bake for a further 10-15 minutes until the cauliflower is caramelized on the edges and fork-tender.
- Serve hot.
- 4 ripe peaches, pitted and halved
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 Tbsp honey, plus more for drizzling
- Pecans, chopped (optional)
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Brush cut-side of each peach with oil and place on the grill, cut-side down.
- Grill for 3 to 4 minutes and then rotate 90 degrees to continue to cook for about 3 to 4 more minutes until grill marks appear and the fruit starts to caramelize.
- Gently remove peaches from the grill using tongs and drizzle with honey and serve with vanilla ice cream topped with chopped pecans, if desired.
- 3 lbs wild mushrooms, such as maitakes, chanterelles, hedgehogs, or morels
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil; more as needed
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 5 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. cognac
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprig thyme
- 1/4 cup Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/4 oz. shaved Parmesan
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth or a paring knife to remove any dirt or dark spots. Cut off any tough stems. If the mushrooms appear muddy, quickly dip them into a large basin of water and drain.
- Heat a 12-inch ovenproof skillet until very hot. Add olive oil and fresh mushrooms. Cook, while stirring frequently, over high heat until mushrooms release their liquid, about 10 minutes. Add the shallots, garlic, and rehydrated mushrooms. Cook until liquid has evaporated. Add broth, cognac, butter, salt, pepper, and 2 sprigs each rosemary and thyme. Transfer skillet to the oven and roast, stirring twice, for 30 minutes. Stir in remaining herbs.
- Serve warm on toasted bread with Parmesan curls.
GRILLED PEACHES ALA MODE
WILD MUSHROOM TOAST