An easy, refreshing, and healthy summertime meal.
the large, roundish or elongated fruit of a trailing vine, Citrullus lanata, of the gourd family, having a hard, green rind and a sweet, juicy, usually pink or red pulp.
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- 1/2 red onion, julienne
- 1/2 cup parsley, plus more for garnish
- 4 ounces parmesan or feta cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
HOW TO PICK A SWEET WATERMELON
- To toast the sunflower seeds, place in neutral oil with a dash of salt and put on a sheet pan, and put into an oven at 350 degrees. Toast for about 10-15 minutes
- On a platter add watermelon, chopped parsley, feta cheese, and toasted sunflower seeds. Keep prepped items separate until salad is composed
- Drizzle the salad with red-wine vinegar and olive oil as well as a pinch of salt and fresh ground black pepper. Toss all ingredients together and serve with torn parsley leaves on top. You can also add lime as an option.
- You can cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
The Taste of Summer
This one of my favorite things about summer. Watermelon is great for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. It can be eaten as a snack or added to a salad for an easy, refreshing and healthy meal.
Inspired by Inspired Taste