A traditional Mexican dish
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 9 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
- 4 poblano peppers, toasted, seeded, skinned, and cut into strips
- 2 to 3 (32-ounce) cartons low-sodium vegetable stock
- 5 medium cooked red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 bunch cilantro, rinsed and chopped
- Juice of 3 limes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 avocados, peeled and sliced
- Tortillas strips
HOW TO MINCE GARLIC
- Place onion, mushrooms, and bay leaves into a large soup pot. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, until onions brown, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or low-sodium vegetable stock to keep vegetables from sticking.
- Add garlic, peppers, and 1 cup of stock. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until peppers begin to soften.
- Add remaining stock and potatoes. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro, lime juice, and zest immediately before serving.
- Place a handful each of tomatoes, avocados, and tortillas strips into large soup bowls.
- Pour hot soup directly over vegetables and tortillas strips; serve immediately.
Inspired by: forksoverknives