Beans are a great source of natural protein and who doesn’t love fresh cut green onions. I can’t think of a better combination. This dish is a simple and fast way to get a meal when you are on the go.
- 2 tbsp of preferred cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1cup of tomato purée
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1Tbsp of onion powder
- 1 Tbsp of brown sugar
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- White beans, drained (240g when drained)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, and add the onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the tomato purée, paprika, brown sugar and soy sauce, and cook for 3 minutes.
- In a separate pot bring seasoned water to a boil and cook the pasta (until almost cooked through drain add a splash of olive oil to keep the noodle from sticking to each other) (save pasta water)
- Add the beans and pasta, and simmer for at least 5 minutes, until the mixture is piping hot and the sauce has thickened a little. The bubbles get smaller and should coat the liquid will coat the back of a spoon. If it seems too thick, add some pasta water to thin it out.
- Season to taste black pepper, and you may also add a pinch of salt. You probably won’t need salt because of the soy sauce.
- Add scallions for toppings. Serve warm with toasted bread.
Inspired by Great British Chefs