Inspired by EasyAndDelish
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 1kg unprepared weight) peeled, de-seeded and cut into large dice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger grated
- 1 fresno chilli finely chopped (you can add more if you want more spicy)
- 5 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 400ml coconut milk
- 240 ml (1 cup) strong vegetable stock
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 green bell peppers thinly sliced
- 100 g green beans
- 150 g frozen spinach
- 1 block of tofu, drained and pressed
- a handful of fresh cilantro finely choped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
- Then, spread the butternut squash out in a roasting tray and drizzle over 1 Tbsp of the olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat another olive oil in a large pan over a low heat. Add the diced onion and cook gently for 10 minutes until it is soft and translucent.
- Add the crushed garlic, chopped red chilli and grated fresh ginger and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and continue to fry for about 10 minutes until they are very soft.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, lime juice and plenty of salt and pepper. Bring the sauce up to a simmer.
- Add the sliced peppers, green beans and frozen spinach and simmer for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Bake tofu to dry out the in preheated 350 degree then cut into large dice and fry the tofu in the remaining Tbsp of olive oil until it is golden use best judgement if it doesn’t seem like enough ad more olive oil.
- Add the fried tofu and the roasted butternut squash to the pan, along with the chopped fresh cilantro. Taste to test, add seasonings.
- Serve the moqueca with rice and enjoy!