(Cooking Time: 10 minutes \ Preparation Time: 6 minutes\ Servings: 3)
Tofu is a plant-based diet that gives you a full set of essential nutrients which is rich in calcium, magnesium and also low calorie plus high in protein. Studies indicate that eating tofu can decrease cancer risk and support heart health.
This is a simple and healthy fried tofu recipe that you can enjoy anytime within the day.
- Amount per Serving
- Calories 103g
- Fats: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 3.5g
- Protein: 4.9g
- 1 pound of firm tofu
- 45 shallots, chopped
- 1 good clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sichuan pepper coarsely crushed in a mortar
- chilli puree (to taste)
- 2 to 3 green onions in 3 cm pieces
- 2 cups of frying oil
- ½ cups of cornstarch
- Slip the tofu between 2 sheets of absorbent paper, place a board on it and let it rest for about fifteen minutes to eliminate the humidity.
- Cut the tofu into 2 to 3 cm dice. Flour them with cornstarch then shake them to remove the excess.
- Pour 1 ½ cups of vegetable oil into a large skillet or wok.
- Dip the tofu cubes in very hot frying oil, proceeding in several batches so that the tofu cubes do not touch each other. Turn them several times so that they can brown on all sides and a crispy envelope forms on their surface. Drain them on absorbent paper.
- Empty the pan, add 1 tbsp of oil. Add the minced shallots, garlic and ginger and sauté for 5 minutes, and then add the crushed pepper. Sauté for an additional 1 min. Pour in the soy sauces, the sugar and chilli; stir.
- Pour the diced tofu for 1 min into the sauce, add the green onions.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.