Inspired by The Curious Chickpea
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell pepper (any color you want)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 tbsp Jamaican curry powder
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 small yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced to half cubes
- 3 cups black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 lime juice (zest and juice)
- Set it in medium heat, heat a pot and add the oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté until the onion is soft, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, thyme, curry powder, black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir to coat everything in curry powder and let cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes and sauté for 1 minute. Then add the black-eyed peas and water. Partially cover, bring to a simmer and let cook until the potatoes are just fork tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and continue to simmer with the lid off for 15 minutes to reduce and meld the flavors. Turn off the heat and add the lime juice.
- Taste and you can add a pinch of salt to your preferred taste.