Vegan Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo)
- ¾ tablespoon golden flaxseed meal
- 1 ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¾ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt finely ground
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup packed vegan mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup plant-based milk (Cashew)
- 1/3 cup oil (walnut, grapeseed, olive)
- Make flax egg: In a small bowl mix golden flaxseed meal and 3 tablespoons filtered water together. Set aside.
HOW TO MAKE A FLAX EGG
- In a blender place tapioca flour, potato starch, salt and baking powder. Pulse a couple times to blend. Add vegan cheese and pulse a couple more times until broken into very small pieces. Stir flax egg and add along with oil and milk to dry ingredients. Blend well until smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Spoon batter into a greased mini muffin tin about one-eighth from the top (Bake these in a mini muffin tin as the cooking time would vary from a standard size). If any muffin receptacles remain empty, place one teaspoon of water in each empty muffin receptacle. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes depending on the oven. Should be firm on the outside but puffy and very lightly browned. (The shell of the bread will be very firm when first removed from the oven but softens to a crisp after cooling for a minute or two)
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack for a couple of minutes and serve.
Inspired by: NUTRITION CITY