(Cooking Time: 10 minutes \ Preparation Time: 15 minutes\ Servings: 4)
If you still haven’t tried this mouth-watering vegan tuna recipe, you are missing out! This dish is super delicious and has the best texture you can achieve with plant-based foods. It goes well with tomato sauce by adding an extra flavor. This is easy, so refreshing, and perfect for the summer.
- Amount per Serving
- Calories 218.5g
- Fats: 5.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 11.2g
- Protein: 24g
For the vegan tuna:
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds, soaked in water for 6 hours, rinsed and drained
- 1 crumbled nori sheet (or other seaweed or other salty flavoring)
- 3 tbsp capers + water from the jar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 ½ cups of vegetable stock
- 4 cups of tomato sauce
- cooked pasta (wholemeal or gluten-free at your choice, eg penne)
- ¼ cups of rinsed and drained capers
- 1 tbsp of coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper and sea salt
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Coarsely chop the onion and mix with the other ingredients until you obtain a texture similar to that of tuna.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the wine and tomato sauce, bring to a boil, lower the heat and add the “tuna” (keep a little for garnish). Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so that the sauce does not burn.
- Mix the sauce with the pasta. Serve with a few capers and sprinkle with parsley, pepper and salt. Garnish with a drizzle of oil.
- Serve and enjoy your dish!
If you enjoyed this recipe or have suggestions on how we can improve it, please leave us a comment below. Also, make sure to check out other dishes I’ve created or stories I’ve written about food culture – here.