People won’t believe it’s Vegan!
Inspired by: holycowvegan
- 13 oz cranberries (rinsed)
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- ½ cup almond milk (or any non dairy milk)
For the pie crust:
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 7 tbsp vegan butter (cut into small cubes, keep the butter very cold until you use it)
- Ice cold water
Make the pie crust:
- Put the flour in a bowl with the salt, sugar and butter. Cut the butter into the flour until you have a grainy mixture with a few larger bits of butter in it.
- Drizzle ice water slowly, mixing with a fork, until the dough holds together. You don’t want to get your dough too wet, so be careful.
- Gather the dough into a disc and wrap it tightly in cling wrap. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Make the cranberry custard filling:
- Put the cranberries in a saucepan along with the sugar and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and let the cranberries cook, stirring frequently, until they have popped and released a lot of juices. Continue to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Blend the cashews with ¾ cup of water into a very smooth paste. Add to the cranberry sauce and stir to mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the tapioca starch with the non dairy milk, until incorporated and smooth. This is best done with a little whisk or fork. Pour this mixture into the cranberries and stir. Bring back to a boil and turn off the heat.
Assemble the tart:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Roll your refrigerated pie crust to a diameter slightly larger than your tart or pie pan. You should be able to fit the dough to cover the bottom and the sides of the pan.
- Place the pie crust into the pie or tart pan and fit to the sides. If making this in a tart pan, use a rolling pin to trim off the excess crust from the top of the tart pan. If making in a pie pan, fold any overhanging dough under the edges and crimp the edges to make a decorative border, with your fingers or the tines of a fork.
- Place the tart pan or pie pan on a baking sheet. Pour the cranberry custard into the pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove the pan to a rack and let the pie cool completely before serving. You can even chill the tart in the refrigerator for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with dollops of vegan whipped cream — it goes beautifully with the tart-sweet pie.