Inspired by: holycowveganINGREDIENTS
- 7 ripe apricots (halved and pitted. Can use another fruits like cherries, berries, apples or peaches)
- ½ cup sliced, blanched almonds (for scattering on top, optional)
For the vegan pastry crust:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 7 tbsp vegan butter (cut into ½-inch cubes)
- ½ cup sugar
- Ice cold water as needed
For the filling:
- 2 cups almond flour (superfine)
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp almond extract
Make the pastry crust:
- Whisk the flour, cornstarch, salt and sugar in a bowl. Cut in the butter using a fork or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly drizzle in the cold water, mixing with a fork, until the dough comes together. Try not to overmoist.
- Place the dough in cling wrap, shaping into a disc as you wrap tightly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 days.
Make the almond filling:
- Place all ingredients in the food processor or a bowl and mix until they come together. This will be a thick batter.
- Roll out the pastry dough to make a disc that will fit into a 10-inch tart pan with a slight overhang.
- Fit the disc into the pan, making sure to press in the sides. Run a rolling pin over the top to remove any overhanging dough. Use the extra dough to fill in any gaps or cracks.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the tart shell in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Scrape the batter into the baked tart shell and smooth the top if needed.
- Place the fruit on top in a decorative pattern or scatter. Scatter on the sliced almonds if using. Bake for 40 minutes or until brown spots appear on top and the filling appears set, particularly in the center.
- Cool the tart on a rack and remove the outer shell of the tart pan. Slice and serve.
- If you did not bake the tart in a pan with a removable bottom, just cool thoroughly on the rack and then slice.
Assemble the tart: