Vegetarian Berliner Krapfen
- Mix the flour and the yeast.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the flour, except for the butter.
- Start mixing and while mixing, slowly add the soft butter.
- Mix for 7 minutes.
- Let the dough rise until it has doubled it size (30 – 60 minutes).
- Divide the dough into portions of about 90g.
- Shape the dough into spheres, cover with a towel and let rise again for about 30 minutes until they have clearly increased in size.
- Heat the oil to 185°F. It will cool down somewhat when you add the Berliner. Keep it at about 175°F once the Berliner are frying – not less.
- Take one of the dough portions and put it into the hot oil with the smooth top first. Then close the lid of the pot so the bottom can rise while the top is frying.
- Once the top has a golden brown color, turn the Berliner and fry the bottom.
- Remove once the bottom has the right color and place on a plate with sugar, covering the top in sugar.
- Bake all Berliner in the oil as described and sugar the top.
- When all Berliners are baked and cooled to the touch, fill the piping bag with jam.
- Push the piping tip into the Berliner from the side and fill it with the jam – about ½ to 1 teaspoon.
- Last, sprinkle a good amount of confectioners sugar on the top.
- You can eat them warm or cold but they should be as fresh as possible. You can also freeze them and thaw them later, reheat a bit in the oven and enjoy warm.Inspired By: My German Recipes