- 50 g Marzipan
- 15 ml Rum or some water + Rum Extract
- 6 Eggs
- 125 g Soft butter
- 2 g Salt
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Paste or Vanilla Extract
- 300 g Brown Sugar
- 100 g Flour
- 100 g Corn Starch or Potato Starch
- 100 g Dark Chocolate
- 1 tbsp. Apricot Jam
- Crush the 50g marzipan into a mixing bowl, add the 20 ml rum (or water and rum extract) and mix until soft.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Add the yolks one by one to the marzipan while whisking.
- While whisking, add the butter, salt, and vanilla paste.
- In a different bowl, whisk the egg whites with the sugar until stiff but don’t make them too stiff.
- Add some of the egg whites to the mix with the egg yolks, also some of the flour and starch, and carefully mix with a large spoon.
- Repeat until the entire egg whites, flour, and starch are mixed into the yellow batter – keeping the fluffy texture of the batter.
- Turn on the broil function of your oven.
- Prepare a baking pan with a layer of parchment paper.
- Spread a thin layer of batter into the baking pan.
- Bake for a short time in the oven under the broil – careful, hot!
- Remove the baking pan when the top of the batter starts to change its color to a light brown. Usually after 1-2 minutes.
- Add another layer of batter and repeat the baking – layer adding – baking – layer adding … until the batter is all baked and the cake has a lot of layers.
- Let the cake cool.
- Melt some chocolate and heat some apricot jam.
- Brush the cooled cake with a layer of apricot jam all around. Let set for a bit.
- Cover the cake with the chocolate all around.
- Let the chocolate set.
- Cut and enjoy a heavenly slice of cake.
If baking for later:
Freeze without the chocolate and glaze after thawing.
Inspired by: My German Recipe