For the soy mince
- 2 cup (75 g) dried soy mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
- 5 tsp (20 ml) liquid smoke *
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 cup (180 ml) water
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onion finely diced
- 2 medium carrot grated or finely diced
- 2 stick celery finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cup (500 g) tomato passata
- 2 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 ml) soy milk
- 2 pound (900 g) spaghetti
- vegan sunflower seed parmesan optional
- fresh rocket / arugula optional
- fresh basil optional
- In a bowl, combine the dried soy mince, soy sauce, liquid smoke, olive oil, paprika and water. Set aside to let the mince rehydrate.
- Heat up olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the finely chopped onion, celery and grated carrot. Sauté on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onions are translucent and start to turn golden brown.
- Whilst sautéing the veg, put on a large saucepan of water for cooking the pasta. Once boiling, add the pasta and a bit of salt. Bring to a gentle roll and cook for about 10 minutes until the pasta is al dente, and drain.
- TIP: If the pasta is done before the sauce is, very briefly rinse it with a splash of cold water after draining, add it back to the empty saucepan and set aside until ready to serve. A teaspoon of olive oil stirred into the cooked pasta can further keep it from sticking.
- When you’ve finished sautéing the vegetables in the frying pan, stir in the garlic and herbs and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add in the rehydrated soy mince to the pan. Season with black pepper and continue to stir regularly while frying the mince for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the passata, tomato puree/paste and sugar, stir well and continue to cook on low-medium heat for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the soy milk and just briefly simmer for another minute.
- If the pasta still needs cooking, cover the sauce with a lid and set aside until ready to serve.
- Serve this vegan bolognese with spaghetti (75 g / 3oz. dry pasta per person), a crack of black pepper, and optionally a sprinkle of homemade vegan parmesan and some rocket/arugula or a few fresh basil leaves.
Inspired by: veganonboard