Inspired by: Greedy Gourmet
- 500g (1lb) dried butter beans
- 1.5l (2 pts) water
- few sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 Bay leaves
- 200g sofrito
- 250g tomato passata
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 75ml (5 tbsp) olive oil
- 20g (1oz) flat parsley, chopped
- 10g (1/2oz) fresh basil, chopped
- 2.5ml (1/2tsp) ground black pepper
- Put the beans in water and soak it overnight
- On the next day drain the beans and place in a large pot with 1.3 litre of fresh water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Once they have come to the boil and you have skimmed off the scum, add the sofrito and the salt. Top up with water if necessary.
- When the beans are almost cooked add the tomato passata and cook on low heat, simmering for another 20 minutes or until beans are soft. Stir frequently.
- Let it cool a little then add the chopped parsley, basil, pepper and olive oil.
- Serve in a large casserole dish with ladolemo.
- Add herbs for garnish.