This is one of my favorite Indonesian desserts. Its Black Rice Rice Pudding, but with a Vegan twist. Find the ingredients list and directions below. After you finish cooking this dessert, leave me a comment and tell me how you liked it.
- 2 cup Indonesian black rice
- 20 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups water *reduce to 1 cup for Instant Pot
- a pinch of salt
- 4 Tbsp coconut sugar or other sweetener (see notes)
- diced banana, coconut chips, and hemp hearts for garnish
TO MAKE ON THE STOVE TOP
- Combine the black rice, coconut milk in a medium-sized pot (reserve a couple of Tbsp for drizzling if you like) salt, and 3 cups water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the temperature to low and simmer covered until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Give it a good stir since this will take about an hour, and check on the cooking progress every once in a while.
- When rice is cooked, remove from the heat, then stir in one Tbsp of your chosen sweetener, and taste. You may or may not want to add another.
TO MAKE IN THE INSTANT POT
- Mix the black rice, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot.
- Seal the Instant Pot, and set to Manual (High pressure for 22 minutes).
- When the pressure cooking cycle has finished, let the steam release naturally for 10 minutes, then flip to quickly release the rest of the steam.
- Remove the lid and stir the rice pudding .
- You can serve it hot, warm, or cold drizzled with a bit of extra coconut milk.
Inspired by: Hey Nutrition Lady
How do you make the black rice?
Black rice is a variety of rice also sometimes called forbidden rice.