Inspired by: thevegan8
FOR THE RICE:
- 2 cups rice
- 3 ½ cups of water (use 2 3/4 for fluffy rice and 3 if you prefer yours more sticky)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 10 corn tortillas, cut into 4ths
FOR THE BEANS:
- 2 ½ 15 oz cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (if your beans have added salt, use 1/4 teaspoon, if no salt, then use 1/2)
- 3 cups sweet corn
- Extra salsa for assembly or instead use the Enchilada sauce for an Enchilada style bowl
- First, make your cheese sauce.
- Next, prepare your rice. Add the water, rice and salt to a small pot and stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and turn to simmer for 25 minutes or until all the water has evaporated from the bottom. Return the lid and let sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, make your tortilla chips, if making them. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper. Cut your tortillas into 4ths. Spread them out evenly and bake for 8-10 mins or until the edges are turning very golden brown, to ensure they get extra crispy. Watch closely towards the end so they don’t burn. Let cool while you finish the next steps.
- Meanwhile, prepare your beans. Add your beans, cumin, salsa and salt to a small pot or bowl and heat either in the microwave or over the stove.
- Heat your corn up either over the stove or in the microwave.
- Assemble your bowls any way you like. I placed some rice on the bottom, then layered with beans, corn, salsa (or enchilada sauce if using) and then decorated the edges with the chips and sprinkled some shredded lettuce on top. Drizzle some extra salsa on and LOTS of cheese sauce.