Inspired by: BBC UK
- 300G large potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 200g swede (known as turnip in Scotland), peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 50g unsalted butter
- 150g savoy cabbage or kale, finely sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15g cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- In a saucepan cook the potatoes and swede of salted boiling water until tender. Drain well and return to the pan.
- Heat 50g/2oz butter in a pan and gently cook the cabbage for a few minutes, until the cabbage is tender but retains its colour.
- Add the cabbage to the pan with the potatoes and swede. Add the remaining 25g/1oz butter and mash together using a potato masher. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the mashed vegetables into an ovenproof lidded dish and top with the cheese. Cover with a lid and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, then remove the lid and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes, or until piping hot and golden-brown on top.